Thursday, April 5, 2007

They call them shadow boxes for a reason. . .

Hello!

Well, here, as promised, is the shadow box I made for Joi. Funny thing about trying to take pictures of a shadow box. . . it's hard because of. . . well. . . all the shadows. Anyway. . . this is it.


I'm really happy with how it turned out. Here are two other views:


The box is 5" by 7", painted in a dark blue-green with an abstract berry design painted up both sides in a light turquoise, and finished with a high gloss varnish. Inside, the box is painted with a golden yellow tinted varnish, the back is a page from a 1957 encyclopedia entry on the sun and sunlight.

The star if this shadow box is the tree. It's wool felt with embroidery accents and stuffed with good ol' polyfill. The pattern on the trunk was stitched freehand using split stitch and french knots.

Then there's my favorite part, the sweeps week guest star if you will (and I will!), the hot pink squirrel scampering up its trunk!

Hope Joi likes it as much as I do.

hearts and puppies,
erika

1 comment:

Stereoette said...

SQWEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in LOVE!!!!