Monday, July 30, 2007

Roadrunner, day 1

Update on my landlord situation. . . it all turned out just fine. I'm tired and beat up but we got our deposit back in full! Yippy! Place was probably cleaner than when we moved in. . .

So. . . on the road. . . I was hoping to have some pictures but my dad isn't much for stopping. I promise to take pictures tomorrow regardless, but just a warning. . . they might all be from the inside of the truck cab!

As for the trip so far, it took me 3 days to convince my dad that going through the Holland Tunnel was the right way to get out of the city. Luckily, traffic was brisk (for New York) and we were through the tunnel in no time! All tunnels out of the way! Off we go to the great wide West! Well. . . no. . . not really. . . apparently Pennsylvania is chock full of tunnels! Every other mountain has a freaking tunnel going through it! Dad was a trouper, though, and he drove along with nary a wince.

That's not to say there were no white knuckle moments. . . my father is a reformed speed demon and his need to be right and up front still seemed to show up every so often. I think he forgot that we were in a truck. I must have stepped on my passenger side break at least 10 times during our 500 plus mile trip! Eek!

We did have a bonding moment, though. . . I happened to have Sarah Vowell's "Assassination Vacation"on my ipod and thought that dad would like it. Once he got used to her voice (a voice I'm quite fond of but I also understand that several folks fine it hard listening) he loved it! Listening really made the hours fly though it did get in the way of talking. . . but do have 4 more days of this to actually learn about each other. . . right?

I guess that's all for now. . . if I can fall asleep. . . he snores. . .

Love from Ohio.

hearts and puppies,
erika

No comments: